While the issue of opening a university in Konya was first brought to the agenda with a draft law prepared in the Grand National Assembly of Turkey in 1955, the bill signed by more than half of the deputies, unfortunately, could not pass the National Education Commission. The first serious step towards having a university was taken with the Selçuk Education Institute and the Higher Islamic Institute, which were opened in 1962 under the Ministry of National Education. In order to strengthen and develop this first step, the "Association for Establishing and Sustaining the University" was founded in Konya in 1968, and as a result of outstanding efforts, the School of Engineering and Architecture, which constitutes the nucleus of today's Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, was established. Although it did not have a building, classrooms, staff and budget, This college, which started to serve in a building belonging to the Child Protection Agency (next to Gazi High School) in the 1970-1971 academic year with the efforts of the Association for the Establishment and Survival of the University, was named Konya State Architecture and Engineering Academy in accordance with Article 9 of Law No. 1418 dated July 5, 1971 . The transition process from these three schools, which constituted the preparation stage for the establishment of the university, to a more effective university took place in 1975. With the Law No. 1873 on the Establishment of 4 Universities, which came into force on April 11, 1975, it was foreseen to establish four universities in our country and Selçuk University was established based on this law. In the 1976-1977 academic year, it started its activities with 2 faculties, 7 departments, 327 students and 2 permanent faculty members, namely the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Letters. The breakthrough year for Selçuk University was 1982. With the Decree Law No. 41 dated July 20, 1982, it was decided to merge the Faculties of Science and Literature, which constituted the core of the university in the first place, into the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Selçuk Higher Teacher Training School into the Faculty of Education, Konya State Engineering-Architecture Academy into the Faculty of Engineering-Architecture, and Konya Higher Islamic Institute into the Faculty of Theology.It was decided to transform the Konya Higher Islamic Institute into the Faculty of Theology.In addition, the Faculties of Law, Medicine, Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine and the Institutes of Health, Science and Social Sciences were established; the School of Foreign Languages was abolished and transformed into Konya Vocational School; Niğde Vocational School was established in Niğde; the Girls' Art Higher Teacher Training School was transformed into the Girls' Art Education School; and the Niğde Education Institute was transformed into the School of Education.
Thus, Selçuk University reached the level of 8 faculties, 4 colleges and 3 institutes at once with the “Decree Law No. 41”. Selcuk University, which experienced a rapid rise in physical, social, cultural and sports fields, especially in the scientific field until the end of the 2000s, increased the number of faculties within its body to 24 as of 2011. However, in December 2011, with the decision of the Council of Ministers and the approval of the President of that day, Mr. Abdullah Gül, Meram Faculty of Medicine, Ahmet Keleşoğlu Faculty of Education and Faculty of Theology, located in the Meram campuses of Selçuk University, were connected to Konya Necmettin Erbakan University, the second state university in Konya. With the decision of the Council of Ministers published in the Official Gazette dated April 26, 2013, Seydişehir Ahmet Cengiz Engineering Faculty, Seydişehir Vocational School, Seydişehir Health Services Vocational School, Ereğli Engineering and Natural Sciences Faculty, Ereğli Education Faculty and Konya Ereğli Kemal Akman Vocational School were also added to Necmettin Erbakan University . Today, it has 23 faculties, 7 institutes, 5 colleges, 1 conservatory.